Monday, September 21, 2009

Book 3: Women's Roles.

When I had my first poll, A Room with a View by E.M. Forster placed in second behind Crime and Punishment so; it makes sense that it’s my next novel.

I started it this morning and am already 50 pages in (its only 210 pages long), so I am sure I will finish it rather quickly.

So far it seems rather light, especially in comparison to its predecessor. The main premise of the story is that Lucy, the main character, has to choose between passion and convention—a man her family will approve of and who she would rather be with. I have only met one of the male characters thus far but I am already pretty sure who she will choose.

Who really listens to their parents anyway when it comes to love? ;)

I jest, but it used to be that way not too long ago. Its funny how things have changed so much in regards to dating and how we choose our husbands and wives. I would have already been married off long ago and most likely to a man I didn’t like.

Thank goodness I got to pick.

The book reflects that view of women and is very true to the times in which it was first published—1908.

Here is a prime example:

“It was not that ladies were inferior to men; it was that they were different. Their mission was to inspire others to achievement rather than to achieve themselves. Indirectly, by means of tact and a spotless name, a lady could accomplish much. But if she rushed into the fray herself she would be first censured, then despised, and finally ignored” (39).

I also like to think about how that above attitude would have been interpreted by women around the turn of the century. True, there were many movements for women’s suffrage and rights emerging and going strong, but the greater sentiment was this attitude—that women were there to support men and to help their men become accomplished and successful.

I am glad that now I can make my own success and Matt will support and help me get there. However, I can also help him and support him in his own achievements. I think that kind of balance is much better than that alternative from the early 1900s.

This is a case where I can say, “Yay for progress!” It seems as if everyone has benefited from that change in attitude.

Anyway, it is time to get back to reading. If you haven’t yet, please vote in the Shakespeare poll!

3 comments:

  1. Oh...this book sounds really good.
    Probably because it sounds like there's some good romance in it :)
    But I'm actually now excited more for this than the Shakespeare.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at "who really listens to their parents anyways when it comes to love". I didn't and I am very happy with my decision. Not that they were against Fred, I know it had more to do with age. Which really is interesting, because back then, if you were my age by the time I got married, 20, you were considered beyond your age to do so. It seems that today most people wait to get married in their late 20's to early 30's. And yes, as parents, we do hold some of our own conventions that are handed down to us. Isn't it great that we all evolve as time goes on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it's worth noting that, while it may seem obvious which choice she SHOULD make, from our perspective, it's not necessarily what she'd do.
    I assume you've read Sense and Sensibility and therefore know that sometimes, even in books, it doesn't always work out for love, but for necessity.

    I've never read this book, and I'm only just catching up with your entries, but I do hope she chooses for love, cause Sense and Sensibility makes me want to hit something.

    ReplyDelete