Friday, April 9, 2010

The Read-a-Thon!

I wanted to make a post as a head's up, that YES, I am participating in the read-a-thon. I signed up quite some time ago, before realizing that I am working an 8-hour shift on Saturday morning.

Even so, my job easily lends itself to picking up a book (I work at a park and I can very easily banish myself to the booth to sell permits, which gives lots of time for reading). I have some posts planned for the time when I am gone, but once I get home (around 4:30 or so), I will be reading straight through midnight.

I am also planning on waking up early Saturday morning to get in a few hours of reading before work. I even planned out my Friday night after work to make sure I could get enough sleep to do so!

I am hoping to be super productive and get a lot of reading done that has been sitting around. If you haven't noticed by the pictures at left, I am in the middle of a number of different books, and it is driving me batty, since I don't usually do that. I want to get it back down to two (The Brothers Karamazov and something else) to keep myself sane.

Here is what I am planning on reading, as a head's up:
  • Finish Slaughterhouse-Five. I started it last night, and might very well finish it tonight, but if not, it will be finished then.
  • Finish The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. It is a collection of short stories, so I should fly through them.
  • Read The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Again, short stories, which lend themselves easily to reading.
  • Start Heart of Darkness. Finishing this, as well as the Vonnegut title, will finish up the LOST challenge.
  • Perhaps start The Count of Monte Cristo in anticipation of the Classics Circuit stop at my blog on the 23rd!
  • Continue Part 2 of The Brothers Karamazov for next Thursday's post
  • I think I am also going to read a few poems, in honor of poetry month, but I'm not positive yet...
You can probably also plan on seeing posts about the following titles, which have been sitting in limbo for a week or two, waiting for an opportunity to be posted (if you don't know already, I am usually a week or two behind in posting my book reviews. I write them when I feel like it, but schedule them to post the next "open" day).
  • The Sign of the Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  • Macbeth by William Shakespeare
  • A handful of poetry posts
Anyway, Saturday will see a multitude of posts, so don't be scared off! And if you are thinking of joining the read-a-thon, you definitely should. I only read for a few hours during October's event (I was very new to book blogging and wasn't sure what was going on), but I loved the community feel of it. It is a great way to meet new bloggers!

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Allie!
    I will be around lurking, and to cheer you on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping work is slow and you get lots of reading in!

    ReplyDelete