Saturday, March 12, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up for March 13, 2011.

Hi there.

I am still on a blogging break. I really needed to step back for my own sanity, and with the amount of craziness that has happened this week, I know I made the right decision. I can't talk about everything now, but I am sure I will reveal bits and pieces in the future.

Anyway, you will see some posts going up this week. I am going to continue hosting for my readalongs, as well as getting the one for April up and running. You'll see posts for The Three Musketeers, Atlas Shrugged, and the last post for War and Peace that never seemed to make it up. Again, I am really sorry about that.

I am doing some reading, but my focus has been on other things this week. I already broke my book buying ban since the Borders that is closing near my home reduced their prices again this week. I have a serious problem. I think Matt is on the verge of taking away all book buying rights, so my ban has been reinstated after a serious splurge yesterday. But these are the new titles sitting on my shelves (oh, and I need more of those as well...)



The left pile includes (from bottom to top):
  • The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
  • The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
  • Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane by Suzanne Collins
  • Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins
  • The Witches by Roald Dahl
  • The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
  • Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

The right pile includes (from bottom to top):
  • One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
  • Brighton Rock by Graham Greene
  • Possession by A.S. Byatt
  • Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
  • Electra and Other Plays by Euripedes
  • Ethan Frome (Deluxe Edition) by Edith Wharton
  • Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Metamorphoses by Ovid
  • Heir to Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier
  • The Sea Wolf by Jack London

Lots of new titles and quite a few from my book list. It is hard to say no to books that are 40% off. It is also incredibly sad to see a bookstore half empty when two weeks ago it was bursting.

I hope you are all doing well, and I hope to be rejoining you all sooner rather than later.

Happy Reading!

9 comments:

  1. Possession is a wonderful, wonderful book, and you should definitely read it sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds. I'm so jealous of the Maughams you picked up. I've been looking for copies of his books, but, for some reason, local bookstores don't stock them.

    Anyway, I hope things settle down soon. I miss your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad about your Borders, though nice that you were able to pick up so many bargains. I hope you still have a bookstore in your town. Luckily, none of our Borders in San Antonio are closing, but we only have three in a city of more than 1 million. Austin is just up the road about 70 miles and they're losing several stores, I forget how many.

    Maugham is really great, Of Human Bondage was one of the very first classics I ever read for pleasure. I haven't read it in years but I'll never forget how much I loved it. It might be time for a reread -- maybe I should organize a readalong later this year!

    I look forward to your posts about Three Musketeers, I've read about 200 pages and I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many good books in there!! Possession is my all-time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ethan Frome! Yay! Oddly enough, I just commented on a review post of the book over at Your Move, Dickens. It's a fantastic and tragic story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have exactly the same problem - I just can't pass up books that I find used or on sale. I agree with the other posters that Maugham is fantastic. Of Human Bondage might be my all-time favorite book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Possession! I hope you read and enjoy it soon, though even if not soon, it will be good many years from now, too :-) There are not many books whose last lines have left me feeling as deeply satisfied as Possession did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really did buy some books! I think I would crack under a sale too. I mean, it's just silly to not buy any. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the craziness resolves itself soon! In the meantime, book buying therapy is the best answer. :)

    ReplyDelete