Friday, February 24, 2012

Book 138: Nicholas Nickleby and Book Stats.

Title: Nicholas Nickleby
Author: Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

First Published: 1839 (serialized)
My Edition: Penguin Classic (seen at left)
Pages: 817

Other Works Include: The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, The Old Curiousity Shop, Barnaby Rudge, A Christmas Carol, Dombey and Son, Bleak House, Hard Times, Little Dorrit, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, Our Mutual Friend

I've been wavering back and forth the last day or two about what my next read should be. I've been reading a couple of chunksters this month and the idea of going into another one has me a little unsettled, but with David Copperfield and Roots under my belt, I feel like I can tackle anything. Plus, the idea of settling into another Dickens after my recent success has me feeling all toasty inside. :)

I don't know much about this one besides the fact it was his third novel and that is supposed to be a funny one. I do like the humor I find in Dickens' novels, so I hope that's true!

Anyway, here are the posts on the other novels by Dickens I've read for this challenge, starting with my most recent posts on David Copperfield:

Book 137: David Copperfield-
  1. Book Stats
  2. Dickens is Winning Me Over
  3. Characters-Dickens at his Best
  4. Finished (A New Favorite)
Book 10: Great Expectations
  1. My Hatred of Charles Dickens
  2. Invitations and Torture
  3. Charles Dickens Made Me.
  4. The Bright Light of Manwich.
  5. Finally Finished.
Book 65: Bleak House
  1. Early Chapters.
  2. Finished.
Book 77: Oliver Twist
  1. Volume 1.
  2. Volume 2.
  3. Volume 3.
Book 88: Hard Times
  1. Classics Circuit Post (Dickens v. Austen)
A Christmas Carol (Love-not a book from my project list)

6 comments:

  1. All I know about it is that it centers in the theatre (which Dickens loved) and that somebody beats up somebody. (Ha! I remember reading that somewhere, and whoever said it was glad it happened.)

    I just won this one in a giveaway, so I'm excited to see what you think. Have fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first encounter with NN was enjoying the 8 hour play from the Royal Shakespeare Company starring Roger Rees. First time I attended a play with a 90 minute dinner break (and an afternoon and evening intermission). I loved it!! There are a lot of characters and settings. Theater plays an important role as does education. Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship with Dickens. I like a lot of his works but sometimes it's an endeavor to get through them. A Tale of Two Cities is by far my favorite. Is that one that you plan to tackle some day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't know how you do it. I am so inspired by you. I'm still very intimidated by most classics, but I know I'm enjoying taking more risks with my reading choices. And honestly, I think you have a lot to do with that. :) Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy Dickens but I also enjoy wordy, descriptive and sometimes hefty selections that I can think about and savor as I read...Dickens is not to be read fast...I'm no expert and I certainly like some of his work better than others, but it's fun reading your posts as you read through his books one at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know almost nothing about this one. I saw a movie version but, poof, all memory of it is gone except that bit Jillian mentioned about the theater. I hope you enjoy it; you've certainly been on a good run lately.

    ReplyDelete